Oslo was founded in 1048 by Harald III (1015-1066), but the city's name was changed in 1624 to honor Christian IV (1577-1548) who was king of Denmark and Norway. He rebuilt Oslo after a devastating fire, which earned him the popularity of the people, so the city was renamed Christiania. In 1925 the city's original Norwegian name of Oslo was restored.
|Saucer showing Christiania, Norway, 1830s|
|Christiania, Norway cup and saucer, 1830s|
|Christiania saucer impressed mark/R. Davies & Co.|
The cup and saucer (notice the bowl-like shape), were made by R. Davies & Co. of the Tyne Main Pottery in Gateshead (1833-1851) in the 1830s. Most likely, this cup and saucer were made for the Norwegian market, as R. Davies & Co. did supply much pottery to Norway.