Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2020

DEATH OF A CAT

 

Percy Big Cat and a Blue Transferware Teapot, ca. 1825
 

Percy Big Cat died on April 30, 2020. I didn't post about him because his death seemed irrelevant at the beginning of the Covid-19 Pandemic.  In the midst of all the chaos and human deaths, it seemed wrong for me to mourn a cat. 

I have had many months to think about what it means for me to mourn Percy. He was the second of three loses, sandwiched between my beloved friend Dora at the end of January and my beloved mother-in-law at the end of September.  I did post about their deaths. It was important that friends and relatives were informed. I even wrote a Dishy News post about Dora.

So, here is a post for Percy Big Cat. Constant companion. Giver of love bites and kisses. Spreader of huge amount of fur.  Winner of the loudest purrs!  Lover of pottery! See the photos below.

 



One more thing.  Percy's love for me was simple: food, affection, and a bed (mine) to sleep in. My love for him was simple too. It was unadulterated by all of the complicated ways I love other humans. I miss him. Even his fur.

 

My beautiful twenty-seven pound Ragdoll Cat (2007-2020)



 




 






4 comments:

  1. He was a beautiful boy. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kitties....and I also am trying to learn more about a Davenport transferware platter that is from Mexico. Impression on the reverse indicates 36 on each side of the anchor with 13 above. It has an image which is copied from an early Mexican lithograph (by Nebel?) of (I think) the square in Vera Cruz with mount Orizaba in the background. Can I send you a pic or two for you to take a look? email is jthomas333@att.net. I would love to know more about the pattern and how it came to be and what other designs were in the edition. La Selva Beach, CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend the message board of the Transferware Collectors Club, https://members.boardhost.com/transferware/. If I can't help you, someone else probably can. You can post photos, which I would love to see.

      Delete