Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

PUZZLE JUGS

I wondered what the purpose was for this odd jug that had holes punched in the rim!  How could one either pour or drink from it without spilling?  I learned that the jugs were meant as a joke, usually on the uninformed.  They could serve as either an icebreaker or an embarrassment. The jug pictured is mine.  It is quite small, 5 inches high and 4 inches in diameter.  There are three spouts and a hole which is located in the handle.  When I tried it by covering all of the spouts and the hole,  I made quite a mess! Still, the experiment was fun.  What an excellent party game it will provide.  Antiques can be fun. See the link to a Wikipedia article for more information about puzzle jugs.

Puzzle Jug, 19th century

Puzzle Jug

Puzzle Jug handle

Phillips "Pastoral Scene" Pattern, c.1825
Standard Willow Pattern
In case you are interested, the pattern on my puzzle jug is similar to Edward & George Phillips (1822-1834) "Pastoral Scene," with the addition of a man holding a birdcage.  The border is the well-known border found on the ubiquitous Standard Willow pattern.  The lovely handle shows the Willow pattern's fence.  

3 comments:

  1. The Blog is wonderful Judie! This is one of the nicest Puzzle Jugs I have seen, I love the size of it as well. I watch for them often, and it is difficult to find them in good condition. Best Wishes for your Blog. Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judie. I love reading about transfer ware and happy I found your blog. My sister use to live in PaloAlto working there in city office for many years. I visit her every year and would love to visit you and see your collection sometime. Regards. Vivuan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vivuan,

      I would love to meet you. Let me know your plans, and we can arrange a time.

      Judie

      Delete