Pages

Saturday, June 8, 2013

MONA'S ISLE AND A LESSON IN TRANSFERWARE CONDITION

"From Mona's Isle" 5.5 inch child's plate demonstrating "Quocunque Jeceris Stabit"

"From Mona's Isle" 5.5 inch child's plate close-up, c. 1830s-40s.  Notice the terrible condition of the plate.

I purchased this extremely damaged 1830s child's plate because I was intrigued with its pattern.  It is poorly repaired with gloppy yellow glue and has pieces of pottery missing.  However, I wanted to study it, not sell it or display it, so I thought it was a worth having.  The price, $8, was reasonable.  I have learned that something rare and interesting gets a pass in the perfect department. 

Mona's Isle is the name of the first ship of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company (circa 1830).  Where is the Isle of Man?  It is located in the Irish Sea between Britain and Ireland.  I wasn't sure, so I looked it up.  I do know about Manx cats because they have no tails (apparently a spontaneous mutation).  I digress.

I was intrigued by the three legged symbol at the center of the plate, and the Latin words surrounding it.  The symbol is known as a triskelion, which is the symbol of the Isle of Man.  The steam packet company took the logo as their own.  I read there are many variations of the triskelion, which is an ancient symbol, but the Manx Triskelion has three bent legs, each with a spur, joined at the thigh.  They (the legs) refer to the island's motto (found on the plate): Quocunque Jeceris Stabit which means "Whichever way you throw it, it will stand." It is an education to look up treskelion on the Internet. 

I originally started the "Dishy News" blog to share the information I learned from collecting and studying transferware.  Here I offer a short lesson in the triskelion, the whereabouts of the Isle of Man,  and transferware condition. And some Latin.







No comments:

Post a Comment