Pages

Thursday, November 28, 2013

THANKSGIVING AND TURKEYS ON TRANSFERWARE


Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.  It is about food, family, fun and, of course, thanks.   There is always way too much food and family and friends at the table.  For this, I am thankful.  Here are some of my favorite turkey patterns, as well as some photos of the wild turkeys roaming the Oakland-Berkeley Hills near my sister's home,  and a photo of my Thanksgiving table last year. 

Turkey hen looking for food in my sister's garden. Photo courtesy of Janet Rudolph
Turkey hen and chicks roaming the Oakland-Berkeley Hills.  Photo courtesy of Janet Rudolph
Enoch Wood & Sons (1818-1846) 7.25 inch child's plate, ca. 1825
Turkey with chicks 6.5 inch child's plate/The proper name for a baby turkey is a poult

Don Pottery (1801-1839) 6.5 inch plate/The source print is from Thomas Bewick's History of British Birds, Vol. I, 1797.

Turkey 7 inch child's plate with feather edge, ca. 1820

Turkey and Other Birds dessert dish in the Ornithological Series, ca. 1820

Thanksgiving 2012/Notice the Spode "Italian" pattern plates
We had 14 people for dinner last year.  Thanksgiving 2013 will see 18 people trying to fit around the table (which has seven leaves).  Liam makes 19 people, but he is only three weeks old so doesn't need his own place at the table. 

No comments:

Post a Comment