Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

LABOR DAY

Labor Day in the United States is observed on the first Monday of September.  When I was a schoolgirl, it signaled the end of the summer holidays and the beginning of the school year.  It was nationally recognized as a holiday in 1894 to honor the economic and social contributions of workers. 

The message on this child's plate summarizes all I wish for you and yours on Labor Day (actually any day of the year).  Hard work in and out of the home (and at school) hopefully will result in "Peace and Plenty."  Perhaps I should have saved this pattern for Thanksgiving, but couldn't wait.



"Peace And Plenty" a mid 19th century child's plate

Close-up of "Peace And Plenty"

I first saw a plate with this pattern in 1995 at my friend Dora's house.   It reminds me of the simplicity of happiness.  What is better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment