Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

EARTHQUAKES AND TRANSFERWARE REDUX

About a year ago, I wrote a post titled Collecting Pottery in Earthquake Country.   I have lived in California since 1971, so I have experienced a few earthquakes, including the Loma Prieta in 1989.  On Sunday, August 24, 2014, I was awakened by another earthquake.  Luckily, I had no damage, as I am located about 80 miles from the earthquake epicenter.  My friend, Diane, wasn't so lucky.  She lives much closer to Napa.   Here is a photo of a plate that was on a table.  A decorative wooden carousel horse fell from the top of a cupboard onto it.  Luckily, the cupboard was bolted to the wall!  There was no other damage.

Enoch Wood & Sons  (1818-1846) Commodore MacDonnough's Victory 10 inch plate broken because of the August 24, 2014 earthquake.  It is being held together by cellophane tape.
Diane's cupboard is bolted to the wall and the plates are attached to the cupboard with museum wax (notice the carousel horse on top of the cupboard before it was knocked off by the earthquake).
Diane's plate rack is bolted to the wall and the pottery is stuck down with museum wax.
I shall remind you again that a big earthquake is like a bomb, but it is still important to be prepared.





No comments:

Post a Comment