Pages

Monday, September 1, 2014

TREACLE JAR



Minton (1793-1872) Arabesque pattern treacle jar, ca. 1840
I purchased a jar with a flat screw lid because I liked the floral pattern. I hadn't a clue as to its use, but I knew I would enjoy the research.  I learned that the jar was used to store treacle, which is the English word for what Americans and Canadians call molasses.  The screw top, which is unusual for 19th century pottery, was necessary to keep out ants and other insects.

Minton Arabesque pattern treacle jar showing both sides of the screw lid

Hunting pattern treacle jar

Treacle jar Cattle pattern

Treacle jar

Treacle jar

Aesthetic Movement pattern treacle jar
As you can imagine, the earthenware screw lids  (and threading on the inside of the jars) were delicate.  If you screwed the lid on too tightly, it could break! 

The threading on the inside of the Minton jar/Notice that it is cracked in places

4 comments:

  1. Hello Julie, do you by any chance have any Hawley pottery for sale please? I'm a descendant of the Hawley family and after being in hospital for many weeks and then rehabilitation for many weeks, I'm really hoping that I might be able to try and find any Hawley pottery that i could buy as a thank you for my dad, who has taken care of me immensely. I'm aware that Hawley pottery will be fairly scarce because of it not being particularly well known, I'm just hoping at some point to potentially find any for sale.

    Many thanks for your time,

    Nicky Frost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicky, I don't have any Hawley pottery. I did notice that there are four potters with that name in the TCC database: John Hawley & Co., Hawley Bros.(Ltd.), George Hawley, and Thomas Hawley. However, there are very few Hawley patterns! Wish I could be of more help.

      Delete
  2. Hi Judie, sorry for such a late reply, I missed your message back in March. Thank you for the information you've kindly given to me, I can do some research on that now. Fingers crossed I'll come across some of my ancestors pottery!

    Thank you again for your help, it's really very much appreciated.

    Best wishes,

    Nicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicky, I understand about late replies. It has certainly been a discombobulating time! I'll let you know if I find out anything more about your family pottery. Regards, Judie

      Delete